TalkTyria recruitment is open!

Wow!

Thanks a ton for your interest in joining our team. But due to overwhelming response, we’re closing up applications for now.

It’s gonna take us a few days to sift through e-mails, so if you sent in an application, hold tight! We’ll be getting back   to everybody ASAP.

Thanks again; rock on, Tyrians!

~Izzie

EuFanDay: The interview

As I said in my last entry here on Talk Tyria, Nerdy Bookahs had been invited to the EUFanDay that took place this Monday and Tuesday in Brighton. I was the one representing our blog there (a first post about this went up on our blog. It includes a growing link collection for write-ups etc. from the EUFanDay). As part of this event, we got to talk with some of the developers about Guild Wars 2. Or rather, each of us (the invited fan sites) were allowed to ask one question. I’d collected a few more than just that, so that was a bit sad. Fortunately, I didn’t have as many questions as some others, so the disappointment from those who sent in their questions wasn’t that big on my site. 😉

Tasha Darke and Dutch Sunshine have just posted the transcription of the interview. You can find the first part on her blog and the second one on GuildMag.

As those two already transcribed the interview, I will refrain from doing the same. It’s a lot of work and time, after all (thank you for doing that, by the way!). Time which I rather want to spend on ranting and musing about which we got to know from the interview. 😉

I’ll assume that you’ve read the interview now. But I’ll try to write in a way that you know what I’m talking about even if you haven’t. 😉 As I said, we had about 25 people (give or take 3) who all asked one question. So the questions were very mixed. We had a few about PvP and what we now know is that ArenaNet want to have structured PvP as an esport. We don’t know anything new about the observer mode but it’s probably a safe bet that they’ll do everything they can to include this as fast as possible post-launch because it’s needed if they want it to succeed as esport. Other than the observer mode, I don’t see a reason why they shouldn’t succeed here. Every character in structured PvP is the same level, has the same quality gear, access to all skills, etc. They also want their structured PvP (and WvW) to be easy to understand and get into. Overflow shards will also allow you to join structured PvP matches (but not WvW), so even if your server is crowded, you can still join those PvP matches. From the interview, I take it that we can expect some kind of announcement about additional PvP maps before release. They mentioned one that has lots of underwater combat and a pirate ship! Another one is supposedly going to make GW1 players feel nostalgic.

Continue reading

EU Fan Day in Brighton

As you may have already heard, ArenaNet will be hosting a EU FanDay in Brighton (that’s where the European NCSoft office is located) on April 2 – 3. My blog, Nerdy Bookahs was invited there and I will be attending this event! I’m very excited! I’ve recently joined Talk Tyria as well and this is why I’ll be writing over at Nerdy Bookahs as well as here on Talk Tyria about this event (if you follow both, I already apologize for any double-posts you’ll read ^^).

We will get to talk with a few of the game’s developers: Eric Flannum (Lead Game Designer), Colin Johanson (Lead Content Designer), Ree Soesbee (Writer and Lore & Continuity Designer), Kristen Perry (Character Artist) and Josh Petrie (Tools Developer). And we were asked to prepare questions. Now, whenever somebody tells me to ask questions, my mind goes blank. I never know what to say or ask! Which is good for you because that means that I’ll be collecting questions until Sunday evening (EU time… maybe Monday morning – depends on how much time I’ll have for writing down the questions before the flight).

If you’re on Twitter, follow #eufanday for updates about the event (or just to see us attendees spamming on there). Or follow my personal Twitter account (Paeroka) for updates from me.

And, as I said, I’ll collect questions here and on my own blog. So leave a comment with any questions you might have about the game and I will try to ask them!

Everything’s Blown Up to Holy Hell

Credit: Massively.com/NCSoft

Yup, you read that right. I haven’t read the thread on GW2Guru but I’m sure the entire onlinesphere has blown up to holy hell with the release of Guild Wars 2’s pre-order details about 2 hours ago. I’ll leave the hot honeyed mess of a forum thread to sift through later because I can bet my upcoming Collector’s Edition of GW2 that there’re angry, angry people with their pitchforks threatening to stab it into the eyes of the staff members of ArenaNet.

I was having dinner at a 1 Michelin star Chinese restaurant when I saw Elixabeth’s tweet and I practically freaked out at the dining table and shrieked with excitement. I think a lot of people are excited because this is tangible proof that GW2 has reached another milestone and we’re that much closer to getting our hands on a physical copy. Screw the press beta because as long as we didn’t get our hands on it, it didn’t happen. Hah!

So the CE is priced at $149.99 – I’m assuming all prices stated are in USD – and in addition to a nifty elite skill to summon a Mistfire Wolf (holy crap, imagine that!), you’ll get a mini Rytlock; a 10-inch Rytlock figurine to go with the miniature version; a ‘Making of’ book; more art prints and a soundtrack. Digital Deluxe Edition goes for $79.99 while the Standard Edition makes you poorer by only $59.99.

Kudos to ArenaNet though for allowing anyone who purchases any of the three instead of just the CE and/or Digital Deluxe to get the pre-order bonuses: A Hero’s Band, access to *all* beta weekend events and a three-day headstart access.

Oh, and Elixabeth, I call dibs on ‘Legolas’ and any variation of the name, even if it’s xLegolasXx. I love Orlando Bloom and I’ll fight you for it. Haha!

While some are slightly deterred by the CE price of $149.99 either because of the budget or the Rytlock figurine, I’ll gladly shell out that amount for it. After converting to local currency, it’s around $170 to $180 for me but hey, I’ve not bought a CE in my life so I’m willing to burn that hole in my pocket.

To the readers: Are you happy with what’s included in the Collector’s Edition? Or is Rytlock not to your liking? Which edition are you most likely to get? Or will you just get the Standard Edition and get the other items on eBay? Will you shell out 150 bucks for the CE or is it out of your budget? And no, I won’t ask if anyone else wants ‘Legolas’; Tyria ain’t big enough for the two of us.

About the author: A self-proclaimed geek, Damagedself constantly straddles between the two very different worlds of gaming and entertainment. While not slinging fireballs from his sexy female Elementalist, he’s swooning over Darren Criss on Glee. He loves watching television and enjoys the witty dialogues of Grey’s Anatomy. Constantly fantasizes on how the hospitals of Singapore would be more enjoyable if the doctors were as gorgeous as the fake ones on Grey’s.

What Will Guild Wars 2 Do to Me?

I often wonder what life will be like after Guild Wars 2 is released.

Being an equally cold and boring day last week, I decided to load RIFT for the first time in months. It was the first day of their new “Lite” program (letting you play for free until level 20), so I figured, “Why not?” The patch took ten minutes and making a new character took twenty. Smooth as expected.

But when I loaded into the tutorial zone and played through it to the actual game itself, I started to wonder if I will ever truly be able to play a MMORPG like this again after Guild Wars 2.

Read more

It Comes From the Heart

Pink Day in LA!

You may or may not have heard about Pink Day in LA, Mailbu Barbie, or the awesome team over at Gamers Giving Back, but let me tell you; these are people worth knowing and here’s why.

Continue reading